Experience the joys of plein-air painting at the scenic Vesper Meadow Restoration Preserve, located just 25 minutes from downtown Ashland Oregon. Sweeping views of Mt. McLoughlin and summer fields of flowers will inspire both experienced and beginning artists alike.
Sarah Burns will support students through the whole process of preparing painting materials, studying the landscape, creating composition, exploring natural color palettes, and encouraging personal artistic expression. Join this inclusive painting class to gain a new experience, or refine your outdoor painting skills.
- Tuesday, September 15 th 3pm – 5pm: Introductory talk and materials demo over Zoom.
- Wednesday – Friday, June 16th, 17th, 18th–10am-12:30pm: painting outside at the Vesper Meadow Restoration Preserve, using physical distancing practices.
- Participants will bring their own bag lunch to enjoy at the barn at 1:00 pm daily. Bring your own blanket or chair and plan to enjoy lunch together from 6+ feet apart. Prop your daily work up for show and tell.
- Wednesday evening Cloud talk via Zoom 7-8 pm.
- FEE: $190 for adults, discounted fee for students 14-17. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
- Bring your own materials, Sarah will demo in oils, but the visual principles apply to any preferred material, such as acrylic, watercolor/gouache or pastels. Portable easels available for loan.
Landscape Painting Workshop with Sarah F. Burns at Vesper Meadow
September 15-20, 2020
Materials List for Plein Air Painting with Sarah F Burns
Pencil of choice – portable and easy
Sketch paper for working out compositions
tape and drawing board – optional
Plein Air Easel – If you don’t have a plein air easel, I have some portable easels you can borrow.
Plastic bag for trash
disposable gloves – optional
Hat and sunscreen – VERY IMPORTANT
Water – for you to drink
comfortable clothes and shoes for working outside
Pandemic Safety Materials – mask, hand sanitizer, paper towels or wipes
Paint – Can be oils, gouache and watercolor or acrylic
- Titanium White
- Ivory Black
- Cadmium Yellow Light
- *Indian Yellow
- Cadmium Red Light
- *Perylene Red
- *Naphthol Red
- *Quinacridone Red
- Cerulean Blue
- Cobalt Blue
- Ultramarine Blue
- Raw Umber
- Burnt Umber
- Burnt Sienna
- Yellow Ochre
- *STARRED COLORS ARE OPTIONAL
- Any other color you like. We will be mixing greens.
- Medium – ie. Oleogel, Linseed Oil or other medium of artist’s choice
- Paper Towels or rags
- Four to Eight Brushes – long handle, hog bristle flat or filberts, size 4 and 6
- Two to Four Brushes – long handle, soft round, size 0 and 2
- Brush Cleaner
- Palette – optional. I have palettes that can be borrowed.
- Palette knife
- Wet Sponge palette
- small spray bottle
- water jar
- four to eight long handle bristle brushes, size 4 and 6
- two to four long handle soft round brushes, size 0 and 2
- Palette Knife for Acrylic paints
- paper towel
- Heavy multi-media or watercolor paper
Gouache and Watercolor
- Students need the full palette, although can intermix watercolor and gouache colors
- Watercolor brush size medium
- Watercolor brush size small
- paper towel
- Watercolor paper, board, tape.
- Small spray bottle
- Water cup